Sleep is one of the most important parts of our lives. It helps our bodies to rest, recover and recharge for the next day. One of the most frustrating things is when you spend the night tossing and turning, desperately trying to doze off to sleep.
If this happens to you a lot and you spent hours lying in bed awake at night, unable to get to sleep, then there’s a brilliant military technique that is said to help anyone fall asleep in just two minutes.
1. Relax the muscles in your face, including tongue, jaw and the muscles around the eyes
2. Drop your shoulders as far down as they’ll go, followed by your upper and lower arm, one side at a time
3. Breathe out, relaxing your chest followed by your legs, starting from the thighs and working down
4. You should then spend 10 seconds trying to clear your mind before thinking about one of the three following images:
- You’re lying in a canoe on a calm lake with nothing but a clear blue sky above you
- You’re lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room
- You say “don’t think, don’t think, don’t think” to yourself over and over for about 10 seconds.
The technique is said to work for 96% of people after six weeks of practice.